Long back I got 2 packs of Flax seesd and till today morning it was fast asleep in the pantry.Thanks to Lil Angels intervention,they were woken up from their beauty sleep.Last night when we were having dinner,Lil Angel asked why I did not serve Milaga Podi with the Chutney.Even when there is Chutney /sambar to go with the dosa / idli,my folks would love to have a couple of tablespoons of Milagai podi as well.Milagai podi was long over and I did not make a new batch.Lil Angel prompting led me to make this healthy version of spice mix.
Flax seed- 1/2 a cup
Gram dhal- 1/2 a cup
Urad dhal- 1/2 a cup
Curry leaves-a handful roasted
Sesame seeds-less than 1/4 cup
Roasted groundnut-a handful
Salt to taste
Use just like Milaga Podi.
- Dry roast flax seeds till aromatic.It will splutter so roast on low heat.
- Similarly roast sesame seeds and keep aside.
- Next roast gram dhal,urad dhal,curry leaves and red chillies.
- Let the ingredients cool.
- Grind to a coarse powder .Spread it on a plate to cool in case it heats up while powdering.
- When completely cool,add saalt,mix well and transfer into an airtight jar.
This day that year...
2008 - Potato and peas masal to go with Poori /Chapathi
Labels: Flax Seeds, Magic Masalas, Sesame Seeds, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties