I made this Pongal yesterday as a part of the Pongal menu.A very simple recipe but delicious nevertheless..
White Rava/ Sooji - 1 cup
Moong dhal - 1/2 a cup
Pepper corns- 1 teasopon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Ginger,finely chopped from 1 " piece
Curry leaves - a few
Cashew nuts- a few
Salt to taste
Ghee - 1 tablespoon
- Roast Rava in a pan and keep aside
- Pressure cook moong dhal with water.If there is excess water,strain and reserve the water.Its ok if the moong dhal is cooked to a mushy stage.
- In a pan bring to boil 2 cups of water[if you have reserved water from the cooked moong dhal,use it here insead of / with plain water]and put in roasted rava.Cook till the rava is done.Some varieties of rava may require extra water,adjust accordingly.
- Add salt and the cooked moong dal and mix well.Cook till the mixture is dry.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a bowl.
- In a small pan heat ghee and roast cashews till golden brown.Drain and add to pongal.
- Into the same ghee put in pepper corns,cumin, curry leaves, curry leaves and ginger.When the cumin splutters pour over the pongal.
- Mix well and serve.
Rava Pongal served with coconut chutney
For a vegan version,use oil instead of ghee...
Other Pongal varieties...
Take a look at what my fellow marathoners are doing today...Srivalli,Monika, Jayasree , Priya Suresh, Azeema, Priya Srinivasan, Reva ,Ayeesha , Soumya , Veena and My Spicy Kitchen
This day That Year...
2010 - Lemon Tea - Drink To your Health
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Morning Raga, Pongalupma, Split Moong Dal Recipes