This is a mandatory dish that is prepared for Pongal .The recipe is simple yet it is creamy and rich!It is mighty nutritious with rice and pulse to make a complete protein and also has Iron from jaggery.With so much goodness I wonder why people[including myself] usually make this only on Pongal day!!
Waking up earlier than usual,I prepared this sakkarai pongal,ambaday ,Ven pongal along with the regular lunch items to be packed for Hubby's lunch box.I would love to share some with you too..
Rice-1 1/4 cups
Roasted moong dhal-3/4 cup
Jaggery-1 1/4 cups,powdered
Cardamom powder-1/4 teaspoon
Saffron -a few strands soaked in warm milk
- Pressure cook moong dhal and rice with 3 cups water+2 cups milk for 10-15 minutes.
- When the pressure valve releases,transfer the contents into a large vessel and while it is still hot,add the jaggery,saffron and mix well.
- If the mixture is too dry add warm milk/warm water to get the right consistency.
- In a small pan,heat 3/4 of the ghee and roast cashews and raisins.When it is done switch off the flame and add the cardamom powder.
- Pour into the pongal and mix well.
- Drizzle the remaining ghee while serving the Sakkarai Pongal.
- Roasted moong dhal gives a lovely aroma to the dish but it is purely optional.In case you prefer to use the roasted one,roast till the dhal turns a little brown and aromatic.
- Some like the pongal to be gooey.In that case add more milk/water.
- The jaggery sometimes has impurities.If you are sure that it is clean add it as such or else dissolve the jaggery in a little[yes,just till it dissolves] water and wait for a few minutes,filter and use the liquid to sweeten.
Labels: Pongalupma, Saffron, Sweet temptations