Side dishes for Chapathi cannot be repeated in my household.People make faces but eat it nevertheless .I take all pains to see that I cook a new side dish for the roti/ chapati.I am always on the watch out for gravies and when I saw this one in The Chef and her kitchen, it looked like a winner.
I made it for dinner and as I had expected every one loved it.Prathiba had made this dish from Sanjeev kapoor.This recipe uses quite a bit of kasuri methi / dried fenugreek leaves and just like Prathiba I was a bit hesitant,worrying that it might make the dish bitter but all my fears faded when we tasted it.It was awesome. I clicked these pic at night so they may not look appealing but you can go ahead and prepare it and see for yourself how yummy it looks and taste...
Source:The Chef and her Kitchen
Cauliflower - 1 large
Kasuri menthi - 5 tablespoons / 1/4 cup
Onion- 2, chopped
Tomato -2 ,chopped
Ginger- 1" piece
Green chillies- 2
Red chilli powder - 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder -1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Yogurt- 1/2 a cup, thick and fresh
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Garlic cloves- 5
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon
- Separate the cauliflower florets,wash well and keep aside
- Grind ginger garlic and green chillies into a fine paste using a little water and keep aside.
- Dry roast kasuri menthi.Take care do it in low flame as they will char easily.Lightly crush it and keep aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a wok and put in the cauliflower florets.Roast them stirring occasionally till they are golden brown.This will take some time but its worth the taste.It you are in a hurry and don't mind the calories, you can deep fry the florets.Drain and keep aside.A word of caution here.You will be tempted to try these roasted florets and if you pop one into your mouth you can't stop until most of them are gone.You will not have anything left for the gravy ,so leave them somewhere out of your reach.Seriously,these were so addictive!
- Heat the remaining oil in the pan and put in mustard and cumin seeds.
- When they splutter, add the ginger-garlic-green chillies paste, onion and saute till onion is brown.
- Put in the tomato and cook till tomato is mushy.
- Add chilli powder, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and mix well.
- Add 1 cup of water and bring to boil.
- Simmer and add cauliflower florets and beaten curd for 5 minutes or till you get the desired consistency.
- Add kasuri Gobi and mix well.Remove from heat after a minute.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
Goes well with Roti/Chapathy/Paratha. Lil Angel ate it like a dish,just the kasuri Gobi in a bowl!!!
Sending this to Nupur's BB-9 -Holiday Buffet event...
Other recipes posted today ...
This Day That Year...
2009 - A food review - Awa Shan Zhai , one of our favorite restaurants
2008 - Broccoli soup to warm up your mind ,body and soul....
Labels: Cauliflower, Cooking with herbs / flowers, Whoz on my side