Last week at the farmer's market up a bunch of Mint leaves as usual.Most of the times it turns into chutney but this time I used it to make flavored rice.
I used :
Rice- 1 cup,washed
Mint leaves- 1/2 a bunch
Ginger-1" piece grated
Curry leaves- a few
Mustard - 1 teaspoon
Turmerci powder- a pinch
Coriander/mint leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
Serve with a raita of your choice or with plain yogurt.
- In a pressure cooker heat oil and put in mustard,curry leaves,red chillies and fry till mustard pops.
- Put in onion,ginger,garlic,Cinnamon,turmeric powder and saute till the onion turns translucent.
- Put in tomato and mint leaves and saute for a minute.
- Add 2.5 cups water and bring to boil.[I generally use 1:3 ratio for rice.Since this dish has to be grainy,I reduced the volume of water.]
- Put in the rice,salt and mix well.
- Pressure cook for 10 minutes or till done.Take care not to over cook the rice which will make the rice mushy.
This is for Siri's Healing foods,this month hosted here with the theme Tomato
A small reminder about the $100 giveaway.Take a look at the post and comment to be a part of the giveaway.
Labels: Cooking with herbs / flowers, Herbs, KLBRice, Rendezvous with Rice, Vegan varieties