Palak Pakoda | Crunchy Spinach Fritters

A few months ago I suffered from 'Bloggers block' and made a bid deal out of it here.Then it vanished just as suddenly as it came and now I am finding it difficult to keep pace with my cooking,writing and blogging about dishes I made.As many as I prepare and want to write about them,I find my time shrinking.

And to add to this there are so many events out there that I am cooking like crazy.So if you find me over-enthusiastic in posting recipes,be assured that this phase too shall pass ;)

Today's second recipe is a simple snack with spinach.One day when Lil Angel refused to eat greens I was shocked.The girl who ate veggies with relish suddenly turned hostile towards them and my bunch of spinach seemed to cry.So I turned it into fritter which she enjoyed immensely.



I used:

Spinach -1/2 a bunch,approx. 1/2 a cup [loosely packed] when chopped
Besan /Chickpea flour-1/2 a cup
Rice flour [/ corn flour] - 1/4 cup
Red chilli powder-1/2 a teaspoon
Cumin powder-1/2 a teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil to deep fry

  1. Wash and pat dry spinach leaves.Chop them into thin strips.
  2. Heat oil in a pan.
  3. Meanwhile,in a bowl mix besan,rice flour,salt,red chilli powder,cumin powder.
  4. Add water little by little and make a smooth batter.It should not be too watery or too thick.[You can check by testing if it coats the back of a spoon]
  5. Add the spinach leaves and use a fork to mix.
  6. It the batter turns thick,sprinkle a little water.[The batter and the spinach should not show out separately.]
  7. Take a spoonfuls of this mixture and drop it into hot oil.Cook on medium heat till it turns golden and crispy.
Serve with tomato ketchup / sauce.



This crispy snack is off to Pari's Kids only event and to Sharmi's Lite teatime snacks



Bon Appetit...

Labels: , ,