Kollu Paruppu Podi | Horsegram-Lentil Spice Mix

Yet another delicacy from the Kongu Cuisine is this lentil spice mix with horsegram.For the past couple of months I have been buying horsegram in bulk and using them regularly in every possible way.Then when I was browsing for some variety I came upon this spice mix in Indosungod's Daily Musings.

I love paruppu podi and each time I go back from India I carry a bottle of mom's paruppu podi.So when I saw this I was eager to try this.With Jaya extending the deadline for her Back To Basics event I was all the more eager to prepare this powder.Nupur also has this wonderful BB6 where we try out recipes from other blogs and this month's theme is potluck so off this recipe goes to Nupur.


I used :The original recipe is here.

Urad dhal,white-1 cup
Horse gram -1/4 cup
Red chillies-4
Curry leaves- a few
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Salt to taste
 
  1. In a pan roast urad dhal,red chillies till it the dal turns light brown.Keep aside.
  2. Roast horse gram till it changes color and gives out a good aroma.Keep aside.
  3. Roast curry leaves till crisp.


Cool the ingredients and powder along with salt and asafoetida powder.Spread it on a plate for sometime and store in an airtight container


Usually I mix paruppu podi with sesame oil and have it as such but Indosungod suggested another tasty method,I tried it out as soon as I prepared it last night.


You need:

Horsegram spice mix-3 tablespoons
Leftover rice- 1 cup
Onion-1 finely chopped
Mustard-1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds-1/2 a teaspoon
Gram dhal-1 teaspoon
Curry leaves a few
Sesame oil-2 tablespoons

Heat a pan and put in the mustard,cumin,gram dhal,curry leaves and when the mustard splutters put in the onion and saute till soft.Add the spice mix and mix well.[You will be hit by the delicious aroma].Add the rice and mix well and cook on low flame fora few minutes for the flavors to blend.Taste and adjust salt and spice mix.If the rice is too dry add some more sesame oil.Serve hot.

Kollu paruppu podi sadham served with a simple potato curry.

[That's not a very appealing pic.It was clicked around dinner time.Will update with a better click ASAP .]

This recipe also goes to Scrumptious Delights From Leftovers hosted here.

Bon Appetit..

Labels: , , ,