Simple Coconut Rice

Hubby dear is so much used to having coconut chutney with iddli that the first time I prepared Rava iddli after coming to China,he felt the meal was not complete.Thus began the hunt for the coconut .The veggie section in the mall didn't have coconut and our mandarin pronunciation of coconut sounded absurd to those people.We went looking for it in the local veggie market but still could not catch a glimpse of it.

The futile search continued till one day we struck upon an idea when we saw a packet of 'Pure coconut juice' with a picture of a coconut tree and a bunch coconut s below it.I took that packet to the girl standing nearby and indicated the coconut and told her I wanted to buy 'that'.

She took me straight to the fruits section and this is what she showed me.




We had a good laugh cos we had seen it sooo many times and thought it was some kinda fruit!!!!For me it doesn't even come near to the picture of coconut we are used to see in India with all that husk around it.
Anyways,hubby dear is now getting his dose of coconut chutney .

The other day I got 2 coconuts and was tempted to prepare a simple coconut rice for lunch.I rarely prepare coconut rice-reasons not known even to me.But then I must have been too lazy or too hungry to cook anything else so I settled in for this.

You need:

Cooked rice- 1/2 a cup
Coconut,grated-5 tablespoons
Onion-1 chopped [optional]
Red chillies - 3 ,broken into bits
Roasted peanuts- a few
Curry leaves a few
Mustard-1 teaspoon
Jeera -1/2 teaspoon
Urad dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Gram dhal-1/2 teaspoon
Oil-1 tablespoon
Salt to taste






  1. Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard,jeera,urad dhal and gram dhal.
  2. When the mustard crackles and the dhal turns brown put in the curry leaves and red chillies.
  3. Saute for a few minutes.
  4. Put in the onions and saute till translucent.
  5. The grated coconut and roasted peanuts go in next.
  6. Saute it for a few more minutes and stir in the cooked rice.
  7. Add salt,cook for a few minutes and remove from heat.
  8. Serve hot with vegetable curry and pappad.



This one goes to FIC White hosted by Kitchen flavours,an event started by Sunshinemom

Labels: , ,