RAVA IDLI RM # 2

An easy to prepare south Indian dish.

Living in a far-off land made me miss my hometown. Along with it I missed mom’s cooking. I yearned for hot, fluffy idli .To top it all, I was stuck in the harsh winter where the idli/dosa batter refused to raise.That's when I remembered mom preparing rava idlis when she ran out of the regular idli batter!! But that recipe called for curd. Curd, which used to be one of my favorites, was a distant dream now. So I hunted the dairy section of the supermarket and to my dismay all I could find was sweetened or flavored yogurt.But my craving for idlis kept me on the lookout and luckily ,I found a yogurt maker in one of the malls and my dream came true!!!

Rava idli is a variation from the traditional idlis.It comes in handy when you have unexpected guests or a hungry kid or you have run out of idli batter . The addition peas and carrots not only make the idlis colourful but is also useful in feeding fussy kids who hate veggies.

You Need:

Rava [Suji] – 1 cup
Curd -2 cups or 1 ½ cups curd +1/2 cup water

Seasonings:
Mustard- ½ teaspoon
Urad dhal[white,split] -½ teaspoon
Channa dhal- ½ teaspoon
Jeera -½ teaspoon
Green chillies -4-5 [finely chopped]
Curry leaves –a few sprigs [ finely chopped]
Ginger-1 “ piece [finely chopped]
Roasted Cashew / groundnut -2 teaspoon
Pepper corns- a few
Oil/ghee

Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves- 2 teaspoon finely chopped

Optional:
Green peas
Grated carrot

1) Fry rava without oil till light brown and keep aside.
2) Heat ghee/oil in a pan when slightly hot add seasonings and fry till the dhals turn golden brown.Remove from heat.
3) In a big bowl put in rava, seasonings, vegetables, salt, coriander leaves and the curd.
4) Mix well to avoid lumps.
5) Let it soak for half an hour.
6) Check consistency. If the batter is too thick add a little curd or water.
7) Grease idle moulds, pour laddlefuls of batter and steam for 10 – 15 minutes.


Serve hot with sambar /chutney of your choice. [I served it with coriander chutney.]



Note
1.You can adjust the curd:water ratio to your choice.
2.To check if the idli is done, poke a clean knife /skewer into the idli .If it comes out clean, your idlis are ready.
3.They taste great when consumed hot as they tend to loose the fluffiness once cold.

Check out what these girls are up to on Recipe marathon Day2

1) DK 2) Siri3)Srivalli4) Ranji5)Curry Leaf6)Medha7)Priya8)Bhawna9)Raaji10)Ruchii
11)Anu12)Kamala13)Roopa14)Divya Kudua15)Rekha16)Divya M17)Lakshmi18)Raaga

Labels: ,