I have embarked on a 'bookmarks clearance' spree. There are so many recipes in the bookmarks folder that if I start trying them out, one at a time, I will have enough recipes for eons to come! Today's post is one such recipe that I bookmarked from Harini's blog - a delicious yellow sponge cake.This recipe uses whole wheat flour and custard powder.I have already used custard powder in Microwave eggless custard powder snack cake so I could sort of imagine how this cake would turn out.It was indeed very spongy and delicious!!
Recipe Source - Tamalpaku
Whole wheat flour - 1 cup
All purpose flour / Maida -1/2 cup
Custard powder[Vanilla flavor] - 1/2 cup
Sugar -1/2 cup + 2 tablespoons
Baking powder- 2 teaspoons
Baking Soda- 1/4 teaspoon
Oil- 1/4 cup [ See note below]
1.Sift whole wheat flour,all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda.Transfer it to a bowl.
2.Warm milk with sugar. Heat it only till the sugar melts. Add the oil and mix well. Add custard powder little by little taking care that there are no lumps.
3.Add this milk mixture to the sifted flour mixture. See to that there are no lumps.Do not over mix.
4. Spoon out the batter into the tins and tap to remove air bubbles / empty spaces...
5.Bake in a preheated [@160 degrees for 10 minutes] oven in the middle rack at 160 degrees for half an hour or till a tester comes out clean when inserted in the center.
6.After removing from the oven, let it cool on the wire rack.
7. Slice after it is completely cool.
Serve as such or with a generous helping of your favorite jam......
- The actual recipe calls for 4 tablespoons butter along with oil. I forget to add it. It should be added to the second step along with oil.
- In case you want to omit butter, add 1/2 cup oil.
- The original recipe uses 3/4 cup of sugar. I added a little less. It was just of the right sweetness. You can add more for a sweeter touch.
- For the same quantity of ingredients,the original procedure says it takes 40-45 minutes to bake but mine got done in 30 minutes. So bake accordingly.
- I did not get a batter consistency when I mixed the flour and milk mixture. It was more like a sticky dough. So I added a little milk, around 2 tablespoons, to get the consistency as you can see in step 3.
- I used disposable aluminium boxes.If using a cake pan, grease and dust or line with baking sheet before pouring the batter into it in step 4.
Sending this to Radhika's Let's cook - Baked goodies event
Pari's 'Only' event with the theme Only cookies and cakes
Srivalli's Snack Mela
Srav's CC-Holiday Baking
Julie's Christmas Delicacy
Bake Fest #2 hosted by Sangeetha, conceptualized by Vardhini
Kavi's Jingle All The Way event...
Labels: cake, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes, Vegan varieties