My Lil one celebrated his 4th birthday a few weeks back. I asked him which cake he wanted for his birthday and he promptly replied that he wanted one with gems.[Gems are the Indian versions of M & M's]
Last year I made a kitkat cake for Lil Angel's birthday and it had a whole lot of gems in the center. He also told me liked that kind of cake. I was sure he remembered that cake!
I told him I will make him a different kind of cake with gems and was jumping with joy. I showed Lil Angel Vaishali's cake and she was sure Lil Dude would love it.
I used my own chocolate cake recipe and borrowed Vaishali's idea. I had a few doubts when I was getting ready to assemble the cake and called up Vaishali and she cleared my doubts and gave tips on how to rectify the small glitch.
That small mishap was when the gems would not stay in place and kept slipping down.her tip helped me rectify the glitch and the cake turned out fine!
So this is the cake I made for his birthday. Just by the look on his face, I could understood how happy he was to see this cake...
For the cake:
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Yogurt / Curd- 1 cup
Sugar,powdered -1 cup
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Baking soda- 1/2 teaspoon
Oil- 1/2 cup
Cocoa powder- 2 tablespoons
Lots of gems / M&M's
For the frosting:
Butter- 1/4 cup / 50 grams
Cocoa powder 1/2 cup
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk 1/3 cup
Let us start with the cake....
Sift together the all purpose flour and cocoa powder and keep aside. In a bowl, take the yogurt and add sugar. Whisk.Add baking powder and baking soda and whisk once more.Let it sit for a while.
The curd mixture will bubble up after a few minutes. Now add oil and the sifted flour. Mix gently taking care to see that there are no lumps. Pour into a greased and dusted pan.
Bake in a pre heated oven @ 180 degree C for 25 minutes or till it is done. Remove from oven once done and let it cool a bit. Gently invert it over a wire rack and let it cool completely. Once the cake has cooled down, flatten the top of the cake and keep aside.
While the cake is cooling on the wire rack,let us prepare the frosting. Take the melted butter in a bowl and add powdered sugar and cocoa powder. Mix well. Add milk little by little and whisk well till them mixture is smooth. Don't add the milk in one go though.Keep it aside.
Take an packet of gems and make a small opening and empty it out. Stuff it with cotton till it looks nice and fluffy.Keep aside.
Now frost the cake and keep it over a tray / plate. Take 4 thin skewers and tie them together. Apply frosting on the skewers leaving a little space to attach the gems packet.Immediately stick the gems onto the skewer. Leave it in the freezer to set. Once ready to cut the cake, assemble it by placing the skewer and the gems packet and more gems at the base. Use colorful sprinkles to give it a beautiful look.
Kids will love this cake for sure!
This cake is for Blogging Marathon #61, Week 3, Day 2 with the theme - Chocolate.And also to Kalyani who is hosting Srivalli's Kid's Delight Event with the theme - Chocolate!, #KidsDelightChocoGiveaway
- Let the frosting be on the thicker side so that it sticks to the skewer.
- Do not forget to chill the skewer in the freezer till it sets. If left outside, the frosting melts and the gems will slide down.
- If you do not have skewers, use a chopstick.
- Do not use plastic straw. I tried and failed :)
- As far as possible , assemble the cake just before cutting it.
- Place as many gems you like. Lil dude felt less is more.So I just used 2 packs of gems.
- Use any chocolate cake recipe as the base.
- While making the frosting, don't add the milk in one go.Add little by little till you get the right consistency. If needed add a few teaspoons more. But you may or may not need the full 1/3 cup of milk.
- Store the excess chocolate frosting in an air tight container in the fridge and use as needed.
- I used a heart shaped pan.You can use a square / round tin / any shape your lil one loves :)
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#61
Labels: Blogging Marathon, cake, Cake Decoration Ideas, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes