Mushrooms are very much a favorite with all of us at home.Mushrooms have been used as food and medicine since a long time.
There are several types of mushrooms and before cooking with them it is essentially important to ensure that belongs to the edible variety!
The photo above is one that is seen often in my garden after a shower. Not really sure if they are edible.They grow to the size of a dinner plate!!If you see such mushrooms, be sure to check if they can be used safely and then use them.
Here are some interesting facts on these fungi...
- Mushrooms are good source of Vitamin B
- Rich source of minerals like Selenium,Copper, Potassium etc.
- Since it has Selenium and Ergotheoneine ,mushrooms are said to protect the body cells from damage.
- Make a great addition to a gluten free diet platter
- Good source of Vitamin D
- Potassium present in mushroom improves heart health
- It is low in calories as well as in fat and Sodium
I include them in everything from soups to main dishes. Here is a small but tasty collection of recipes using mushrooms...
Labels: Kitchen Dictionary