Eggless Layered Rainbow Cake | Surprise Inside Cake

This is the cake I baked for Lil Angel's birthday. She asked for 7 layers to denote her age and I agreed. Actually, this cake has a really lengthy background. But before that a sneak peek of the cake...


While deciding a cake for her birthday, she wanted a castle cake. After getting suggestion from my blogging marathon buddies and mentally preparing myself to bake one, she changed it to a Barbie cake. Once again my friends to the rescue and after watching a few videos, I was geared up to make one. And then a few days before her birthday, she wanted this rainbow cake!

So working out the colors and other things needed, I started preparing this cake.It completely slipped my mind that I had just one round cake tin and have to bake 7 layers!!!

Another thing that I did not realize is that I should have chosen a sturdier base for the cake. After baking  the layer,some of them were too fragile to handle.

While assembling the cake, even after I had levelled the top,they started cracking. I was really so upset and so got around to doing 4 colors in kthe final cake.

The baking,cooling before removing the cake from the pan itself took such a long time that by the time I finished baking the 7 layers, Lil Angel was home. I told her that there would be just 4 colors and she did not seem to mind.Relieved, I assembled the cake and did a simple decoration which she loved.

For this too,I used the vanilla cake recipe as the bake. But if you are planning to make one such cake, please use a more firmer base recipe.

Also I should have used a whipped cream/ butter cream frosting but stuck to chocolate frosting as I thought the  lil one would love a chocolate cake...

Overall the cake was a hit .She loved it and hubby and my parents thought I had done a good job!But I still wish I had thought over the process and baked her a 7 layered cake.I have promised her that I will bake one soon and hopefully will get it done in the near future.

Lets move on to the recipe...

I used:

All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups + 1 1/2 cups
Thick yogurt - 1+1 cups
Sugar -1+1 cups
Baking powder- 1+1 teaspoons
Baking soda -1/2 + 1/2 teaspoon
Sunflower oil - 1/2+1/2 cup
Vanilla essence- 1+1 teaspoon
Food colors- a few drops


Chocolate frosting

Sugar hearts
Silver sugar pearls
Sprinkles
Candies

Grease and dust a  pan and keep aside.Sift the flour.In a large bowl take the sugar, add curd and whisk till the sugar dissolves. Put in baking powder and baking soda.Mix gently and keep aside for 5 minutes.The mixture will froth up.Add oil, vanilla essence and flour. Mix to combine but don't beat / over mix. Just see to that the flour is incorporated into the curd mixture.



Divide the batter into equal portions and add a drop of gel color to each and mix gently.


Pour into the prepared pan and bake at 180 degree C for 10 minutes or until the tooth prick comes out clean.Remove from the oven and let it sit on the pan for a few minutes. Gently remove the cake from the pan and cool on a wire tray.



Once the layers are bakes, cool on a sheet. Cling wrap the individual colors and refrigerate for at least an hour to firm up.


Then start assembling the cake. Place a layer, spread the frosting, and keep adding one colored layers on top.Decorate with sugar hearts, sugar pears . sprinkles and sprinkles.


The cake is ready!!!


Note:








Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 51



An InLinkz Link-up

Labels: , , ,