I am back today with yet another surprise inside cake. If you have just landed here, we, a group of 28 bloggers ,are doing a month long baking marathon.Check out the compilation post here...
Well, remember the layered cake I posted yesterday?And that I had 2 colored layers unused? Now one of those colored cakes are going to be featured in this post..
I loved the idea of using a cake inside a cupcake to create beautiful designs. I used one of the leftover colors from layered cake and created this cute cupcake!
These types of cakes are also called twice baked cakes.When I baked it for the first time, I was a little skeptically if would work out. It did and I am glad I made this one.
All purpose flour - 1 1/2 cups
Thick yogurt - 1
Sugar - 1 cup
Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
Baking soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Sunflower oil - 1/2 cup
Food colors- a few drops
Sift the all purpose flour and keep aside.Take curd in a bowl and add the sugar to the curd and mix till it dissolves.
Add baking powder, baking soda and mix . Let it sit for 5 minutes. It will froth up.Add oil, sifted flour and mix gently.Do not over beat / mix too much.
Take 1/3 of the batter first.Keep aside the remaining batter.
Add a drop of gel color to the 1/3 portion of the batter and mix. Pour into a greased and dusted pan.Bake at 180 degree C for 10 minutes/ until a skewer comes out clean. Remove from oven and let it sit in the tin for a few minutes. Carefully invert the pan and cool the cake on a wire rack.
Let the cake cool completely. Using a small heart shaped cookie cutter, stamp out the hearts and keep aside.
Line a muffin pan with liners and pour a spoon full of the batter that we kept aside earlier.Place a cake heart in the centre as shown below. The heart will be in the centre and stuck to the batter. Top it up with the remaining batter.
Bake in a pre heated oven at 180 degrees for 15 minutes or till done. Insert a skewer from the sides and go diagonally to the bottom to check for doneness.
Remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.Let it cool completely before frosting.
Give it a chocolate frosting and top it up with a few sugar pearls. Ask your guest / kid / family member to take a bite and get ready to smile at the surprise on their face :)
- You can bake 3 thin cakes with this recipe for a similar cupcakes and use differently shaped cutters.Divide the batter into 3 portions and use different colors.
- If not using immediately, cling wrap the colored cake and freeze. Before using, bring the cake to room temperature and proceed.
- You can use any recipe for this cake and follow the same idea.
- Depending on the size of the cookie cutter / cupcakes you are baking, the remaining batter may/ may not be sufficient for 12 cupcakes .
- Also depending on the size/shape of the cookie cutter, you may have left over color cake shapes.I had a few color hearts left over and the kids ate them as such.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, cake, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes