Quick Brinjal Rice

I go to the farmers market once a week.Since it is nearby, I walk which serves the purpose of exercise as well as enjoy the crisp morning air!

 As soon as I enter the premises, I usually search for fruits , veggies, greens that are new to me. There are a few shop keepers who know this and tell me that such and such a veggie/ fruit is on sale and some even share the health benefits and the methods in which they can be cooked!

So one day I saw this white colored brinjal that we rarely get here. It is buttery soft when cooked but does not turn mushy.My immediate thought was to make Vaangi bhaat. I told Lil Angel about this dish and she agreed to take it to school.

Unfortunately I woke up late the next day but still managed to make a quick version of the dish. Lil Angel liked it and came home with an empty lunch box...

I used:

Rice- 1/2 cup
Brinjal-4
Mustard-1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal-1/2 teaspoon
Chana dal-1/2 teaspoon
Onion-1, sliced
Tomato-1,small chopped
Sambar powder- 1 teaspoon
Coriander powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Curry leaves- a few
OIl- 1 tablespoon
Salt to taste

Cook the rice like you normally would and spread on a plate to cool. See to that the grains are separate.Wash and chop the brinjal and keep it under water till required.


Heat oil in a pan and add the mistard,cumin, urad dal and chana dal.When the mustard pops, add the onion and curry leaves. Add the tomatoes when the onion turns soft.Saute for a minute.

Add the chopped brinjal[drain and discard the water] and saute. Add 1/4 cup water,turmeric .


Put in sambar powder,coriander powder, salt.Mix well.Cover and cook on low flame till the brinjal are a bit soft but not mushy. Add the cooked rice, mix well.Let the flavors blend for a couple of minutes. Remove from heat and serve.


Serve quick and easy brinjal with a crispy of your choice....


Bon Appetit....

Labels: , , , , ,