I am a bit late in posting the dish for Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge started by Priya of Priya's Versatile recipes . Instead of listing down the reasons for the delay, let me tell you about the dish...
My partner for this month was Priya and the ingredients - Peanuts and onions. And this was the dish I prepared with my ingredients..
A perfect pair for idli / dosa and also something that can be prepared when we are bored of the usual coconut / tomato-onion chutney.
Roasted peanuts- 1/2 cup
Pearl onions / sambar onions- 10, peeled and chopped
Curry leaves- a few
Red chili- 1 [adjust to taste]
Tamarind- a small gooseberry sized ball
Asafoetida powder- a small pinch
Salt to taste
- Heat oil in a pan and saute onions, curry leaves along with asafoetida till onion turns light brown.Let it cool.
- Grind the sauteed onion along with all the other ingredients to a smooth paste. Add a little water if needed.
- Remove from blender jar and serve as a side with idli / dosa.
- You can alter the onion: peanut ratio to suit your taste
- There is no need to temper / season this chutney.
- You can use the regular onion instead. But the taste will differ a bit.
Labels: Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties