If you ask me to describe morekali-an authentic dish from the Tamil nadu , it will be something like this - Moru - means buttermilk and kali is a sort of porridge. It is made with rice flour and sour buttermilk and has sun dried chilies added to it in the seasoning or as a side. It has a texture somewhat similar to upma and a nice tang to it.
I have eaten this just a couple of times and loved it as soon as I had the first spoonful. It is extremely easy and quick to make. And even better, it need just two main ingredients - rice flour and slightly sour buttermilk/ curd.
This is my third dish for Blogging Marathon #46, week 4, Day 3 under the theme - Combo dishes.
I used :
Red rice flour- 1/4 cup [See notes below]
Sour curd- 1/2 cup
Water- 1 cup
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Split urad dal-1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Sun dried chiles/More milagai - 2, broken
Salt to taste
To serve with / Garnish
Sun dried chiles/ More milagai -as needed
In a bowl take the curd and add water,salt and whisk well. Add the rice flour and whisk well so that there are no lumps. Keep aside.
Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard, urad dal, sun dried chilies, curry leaves. When the dal tunrs brown, add the buttermilk mixture and mix well. Bring to a boil and keep stirring. After 4-5 minutes, the mixture will thicken .Dip your fingers in water and touch the mixture. If it sticks, cook for a few mire minutes, else stir on low it it comes off the sides.
Heat a little oil and fry the sun dried chili kept aside for garnish. Fry till dark brown and remove from the oil.
Serve morekali warm with crushed sun dried chili /more milagai on top....
- Regular rice flour can be used.I had red rice flour hence used it.
- This thickens on standing. Before serving, add a little hot water, stir well and serve.
- Tastes best when served hot / warm.
- Instead of adding sun dried chilies in the seasoning, red chili or green chilies can be used.
- Be careful while adding salt as the sun dried chilies[if using in the seasoning] is salty. Add little while whisking the curd, then after seasoning and adding the curd mixture into the pan, taste and add more if needed.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Miscbf, Morning Raga, SI, Snack Bar, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes, Tamil Nadu Cuisine