Today's post is going to start without much of a Chit-chat....This dish is something that I made for the Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge.Priya of Priya's Versatile recipes gave me Bajra and sesame seeds as the secret ingredients and this time I decided to cook with both. I cooked with the secret ingredients the very next day and enjoyed this hearty breakfast....
For the Bajra Uthappam
Bajra flour - 1 cup
Dosa / Idli batter- 2 cups
Finely chopped onion - as needed
Idli milagai podi - as needed
Coriander leaves to garnish
Salt to taste
- In a bowl take the bajra flour and idli / dosa batter. Mix well without lumps. Add a little water if needed. Take care to see that the batter is thick and not very watery.
- Add salt if needed.Check before adding as the idli / dosa batter already has salt.
- Heat a griddle / tawa and pour a large ladle full of batter in the centre. Spread it out just a little bit as we are making uthappams.
- After a minute, spread some chopped onion over the surface, sprinkle milagi podi and place some coriander leaves.
- Reduce the flame to low and cover and cook till the edges leave the pan and the uthappam is cooked. It is be checked to see if the batter has cooked by touching the surface with your finger. If the batter sticks to your finger, cook for a couple of minutes more.
- Remove from the griddle.There is no need to flip it over and cook.Serve hot with a side dish of your choice.
For sesame chutney
Roasted white sesame seeds- 1/8 cup
Grated coconut- 1/4 cup
Roasted peanuts,without the skin- 1/8 cup
Green chilies- 2 [adjust to taste]
Tamarind extract- 1/2 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Asafoetida powder- a large pinch
Curry leaves- a few
- Grind together all the ingredients for chutney [except the tempering ingredients] to a smooth paste adding a little water.Remove into a vessel
- Heat oil for tempering and add the other ingredients.
- When the mustard crackles pour over chutney.
- Mix well and serve with dosa / idli.
Labels: Dosa Varieties, Kambu, Millet Mania, Morning Raga, Shhhhh Cooking Secretly Challenge, SI, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties