This spice mix is one of the most widely used blend in the Ethiopian cuisine. I used this in the D'ba Zigni / Ethiopian pumpkin Recipe. It smelt like a cross between South Indian sambar powder and North Indian Garam Masala!I also used some of this spice blend in a potato curry and it tasted so different!
Adapted from here
Coriander seeds -2 teaspoons
Black peppercorns - 1/2 teaspoon
Fenugreek seeds-1/2 teaspoon
Cinnamon- 1" piece,broken into bits
Red chilies, dried- 2, broken into bits
Onion powder- 3 tablespoons
Garlic powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Ginger powder- 1 teaspoon
Grated nutmeg- a large pinch
- In a pan ,roast the coriander seeds, fenugreek
seeds, black peppercorns, cardamom seeds and cloves. Toast
spices over medium heat, swirling skillet constantly so that they don't burn.
- When the mixture turns fragrant, remove from heat and let it cool.
- Grind to a fine powder. Sieve once and again grind the grits till you get a fine powder.Add the onion powder,garlic powder,grated nutmeg and run the mixer once more.
- Let it cool down for a few minutes and transfer into an air tight container.
- Use as needed in soups / curries.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Ethiopian Cuisine, Flavors from across the border, Magic Masalas, Vegan varieties