Baharat is a Middle Eastern Spice mix that is used is soups and stews.It is something like the Indian Garam Masala. I made this for the Lebanese Chickpea soup that I made for the Culinary journey across the globe.
I love to stock up and use a variety of spice mixes and this one seems to be a good one to join my collection.I added this to vegetable curries and roast potato and both the dishes turned out to be very flavorful.
Black pepper - 1/3 cup
Cardamom- seeds from 3 pods
Cinnamon- 2 " stick, broken into pieces
Red chillies- 5
Coriander seeds- 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds- 1 tablespoon
Grated nutmeg- a large pinch
- Dry roast the black pepper, coriander seeds, cumin, cinnamon,red chillies,cloves in a pan till a nice aroma arises.
- Cool on a plate.Grind to a fine powder. Add the nutmeg,ginger powder and pulse once more to mix.
- Sieve it and powder if there are more grits.
- Spread on a plate for a few minutes and store in an air tight container.
- Use as required in soups/ stews/ curries.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Flavors from across the border, Magic Masalas, Vegan varieties