For the second day in Blogging Marathon - 43, Week 1 under the theme dhoklas I have chosen this Poha dhokla.. The Dhokla is made with red aval / Red pressed / flattened rice. Poha is a very good source of Iron and this is one of the ways to incorporate it in our diet.
Since yesterday's post was quite lengthy, I did not want to over load it with more information. So here it is something that is good to know...
Food sources of Iron :
Liver is not only an excellent source of Iron but also of Vitamin A. Excessive Vitamin A is harmful for the fetus and hence it is better to avoid it during pregnancy.
- Dried beans [legumes]
- Dried fruits
- Green vegetables
- Brussels sprouts, asparagus.
- Enriched cereals and iron fortified salt.
- Aval / Pressed rice /Flattened / Beaten rice
- Wheat germ
- Red meat, poultry.
There are ways to increase the iron that is being absorbed into the body.
- Cook in a cast iron pan.Foods that are cooked with acidic ingredients like tomato are good in soaking up iron.
- When taking food rich in Iron it is advisable to decrease the consumption of tea and coffee.
- Also the intake of protein rich foods and foods rich in Vitamin C is recommended as they enhance the absorption of Iron from the diet.Include more of potato, lemon, orange which are good sources of Vitamin C.
- Oxalates and phytates in foods prevent the absorption of Iron.These foods need not be avoided but can be taken with enhancers like foods rich in Vitamin C.
Now to the recipe...
Adapted from Tarla Dalal's site
Aval / Pressed rice- 1/2 cup
Semolina / suji- 1/2 cup
Curd / yogurt- 1 cups
Green chili paste- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Eno fruit salt- 1 teaspoon / 1 sachet
Grease a tray / plate. Coarsely powder the pressed rice.
In a bowl take the rawa, powdered pressed rice, salt, green chili paste, salt and mix well.Meanwhile, heat water in a steamer / cooker.
Add Eno and pour a teaspoon of water over it.. It will bubble up. Mix gently.
Immediately pour into a greased plate / tray and tap gently. Place the tray inside the steamer and steam cook for 20-25 minutes or till a skewer inserted int he center comes out clean. If cooking inside a pressure cooker, do not use the nozzle stopper or weight.
Remove the plate / tray from the steamer and let it cool for 5 minutes.
Heat oil and add mustard, sesame seeds and curry leaves, green chilies,asafoetida powder and once the seasoning splutters, pour over the dhoklas. Spread gently and remove the squares from the tray / plate.
Serve garnished with grated coconut and coriander leaves, as such or with a chutney of your choice...
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#43
- Since I used lemon flavored Eno, I have not added lemon juice.If using plain fruit salt,add a teapoon of lemon juice to the batter.
Sending this to Srivalli's Kids delight event,hosted by Harini with the theme - Healthy snacks.
Labels: Aval, Blogging Marathon, Party Snacks, Snack Bar, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes