Here comes another recipe that has been in my drafts like forever! I was meaning to post this earlier yet the way things are running for me, it got delayed and delayed until today.Luckily for the Week 3, Blogging Marathon # 43, I chose the theme - Bookmarked recipes and this was the perfect time to bring this post out of hibernation! This recipe is from Vegbowl and it is a little different from the way I made bread upma.
Bread is an ingredient that I love. My folks don't touch bread unless they are sick but its not so for me or the kids. We love to have it in all forms- as such, toasted, sweet and savory sandwiches and the most yum way- dunked in sambar!I know it sounds weird, but that's our most loved way to have bread.
So, we always have a loaf of bread around and sometimes I have the mood to try out some upma sort of dish with bread and at the bottom of this post you will find the links to such recipes.I remember making this as a snack during tea time and Lil Angel loved it.
Adapted from - Veg Bowl
Bread slices- 8
Tomato - 1, chopped
Green chilies- 2, chopped
Sambar powder- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt and lemon juice to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Oil- 1 tablespoon
- Tear/cut the bread into cubes.
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard, cumin , green chilies and curry leaves.
- Once the mustard pops, add the onion saute till translucent.
- Add the tomato and cook till soft.
- Add sambar powder [or red chili powder] , turmeric powder and salt and mix.
- Add the bread cubes and mix well so that the masala coats the bread. If it is too dry, sprinkle a little water.
- Once the bread is heated through, turn off the heat, add lemon juice and coriander.
- Mix and the dish is ready to be served...Tastes best when it is hot!
Here are some other versions from around the blogosphere that I have posted in my blog...
Vegetable bread upma that I made from Pradnya's blog...
Bread Pulao Veggie Hut
Tadka Bread from Prathiba's blog
And here is a collection of the other bread based dishes from my blog..
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#43
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Snack Bar, Vegan varieties