Spicy Garlic Chutney

It's not just the novels that attract me into reading late through the night.Cookbooks too are almost all the time found on my bedside table. No matter how many cookbook I buy ,or how many times I read them, I love to browse through them as often as possible.

One such 'reading' led me to this spicy garlic chutney in Chef Jacob's Aha Enna Rusi Cookbook. I have already blogged about the Gram dal Chutney from this book.

Though I am not a fan of spicy stuffs, my family loves them to the core. so this one was made specially for those 'spice lovers'...



I used:

Pearl onion-8 numbers, peeled
Garlic- 15 cloves,peeled
Red chili - 5 [ The pic shows only 2 but I added them later on after clicking the pic]
Tamarind - a small piece
Curry leaves- a few
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Sesame oil- 1/4 cup [You need it!]
Salt to taste

Take the onion, garlic, tamarind, red chilies in a mixie jar and grind to a semi coarse paste. You can also grind it in your stone grinder / motor and pestle.



Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard, cumin and curry leaves. When the mustard seeds splutter, add the ground chutney and mix well.It will absorb the oil and on further cooking the oil will ooze out.Add salt and cook till the raw smell goes off. Remove from heat and serve as a side with idli / dosa.


Note:





This post is also for the Cookbook Challenge of the month - July 2014, Week 2


Bon Appetit...

Labels: , , , , ,