Boondi Koora

After tasting the sweet,spicy and tangy Appe Huli from Karnataka and the Sundakkai Poondu Kuzhambu from Tamil Nadu, I am taking you to savor a dish from Andra today. This is my third post for 'South Indian Meal Dishes' theme for Week 1 in Blogging Marathon #42.

I first saw this dish when I was hunting for recipes to be apart of the Indian Food Odyssey that we did in April. I had made this the very next day that I saw it in some blog and then put it in the drafts almost a year ago.Then when I finalized the dishes for all the states, I thought this seemed too simple and changed pans and made the Hyderabadi Briyani and Double ka Meeta.

Boondi Koora is a Andra styled curry made with crispy Boondi and is served as a side with steamed rice and rasam.It tastes sort of creamy and is a great pair with rasam rice.I bet it makes a good snack as well.


I used:
Adapted from - Padma's Kitchen

Boondi - 2 cups
Onion-1,chopped
Tomato- 1, chopped
Green chilies-2,slit
Ginger- a small piece,minced
Garlic-2 pods,chopped
Curry leaves- a few
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Red chili powder-1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder-a pinch
Water-1/2 cup
Milk- 3/4 cup
Salt- to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves- to garnish

  1. Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder.
  2. When the cumin crackles, add the onion, green chilies,ginger ,garlic,curry leaves.Saute till onion is soft.
  3. Put in tomato and cook for a minute.
  4. Add water and let the tomato turn mushy. The mixture should be like a thick gravy.
  5. Add the milk , boondi and salt[see note below].Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes. The boondi will absorb the liquid and the mixture will become dry.Add a little more milk if needed.
  6. Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.



Note:




Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 42

Bon Appetit ...



Labels: , , , , ,