After tasting the sweet,spicy and tangy Appe Huli from Karnataka and the Sundakkai Poondu Kuzhambu from Tamil Nadu, I am taking you to savor a dish from Andra today. This is my third post for 'South Indian Meal Dishes' theme for Week 1 in Blogging Marathon #42.
I first saw this dish when I was hunting for recipes to be apart of the Indian Food Odyssey that we did in April. I had made this the very next day that I saw it in some blog and then put it in the drafts almost a year ago.Then when I finalized the dishes for all the states, I thought this seemed too simple and changed pans and made the Hyderabadi Briyani and Double ka Meeta.
Boondi Koora is a Andra styled curry made with crispy Boondi and is served as a side with steamed rice and rasam.It tastes sort of creamy and is a great pair with rasam rice.I bet it makes a good snack as well.
Adapted from - Padma's Kitchen
Boondi - 2 cups
Tomato- 1, chopped
Ginger- a small piece,minced
Curry leaves- a few
Cumin seeds-1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder-a pinch
Red chili powder-1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder-a pinch
Milk- 3/4 cup
Salt- to taste
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves- to garnish
- Heat oil in a pan and add cumin seeds and asafoetida powder.
- When the cumin crackles, add the onion, green chilies,ginger ,garlic,curry leaves.Saute till onion is soft.
- Put in tomato and cook for a minute.
- Add water and let the tomato turn mushy. The mixture should be like a thick gravy.
- Add the milk , boondi and salt[see note below].Mix and cook for 3-4 minutes. The boondi will absorb the liquid and the mixture will become dry.Add a little more milk if needed.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- Check salt and add.Boondi already has salt.So add half the quantity ,check and add more.
- Add more milk if you want it a little on the moister side.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 42
Bon Appetit ...
Labels: Andra Pradesh Cuisine, Blogging Marathon, Misc Rice Sides, Step-by-step Pictorial Recipes, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side