Appe Huli / Maavinkaai Saru / Raw Mango Rasam

One day- a year and three months ago, it was threatening to rain. It was very windy and gloomy. All I wanted was a cup of piping hot coffee. But I had to make something for an event and I had narrowed down the choice to an Iced beverage!Thus I ended up making a Greek Iced Coffee. I clicked it in my backyard which had the most lighting given the situation and amidst the cautions from MIL, I took some clicks and hurried inside.

When I had to cook something for lunch that day, I made this super warming Rasam / soup that seemed to brighten up the mood just as the weather seemed to cheer up a bit after it had rained. Even then there was not enough lighting to get a decent click but I did click a few and saved it to the drafts.

And now these come in handy as I am doing 'South Indian Meal Dishes' as the theme for Week 1 in Blogging Marathon #42.

I am planning to make this one more time sometime soon and click better pics.



This is a soup like dish famous in Karnataka especially Malnad regions. It is a tasty concoction that is sweet, sour and spicy and to get these tastes, one uses Raw Mango! Aren't you drooling now!

It is a very simple dish and quick to make too.Goes well with plain steamed rice and some crispies. On a  chilly day, it tastes good as a soup too!

I used:
Recipe source - Red Chilies

Raw mango -1
Green chilies- 2,slit
Jaggery- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Salt to taste

Tempering 

Ghee- 1 teaspoon
Mustard- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
  1. In a vessel, take the cubed mango , turmeric, green chilies and add water till the cubes submerge in it.Pressure cook it till the mango is well cooked.[ You can also cook it on pan but it will take a long time . Gets done faster in a pressure cooker.]
  2. Once the pressure releases,retain the water and take out the mango and the chilies. Puree and keep aside.
  3. Heat the water used to cook the mango and put in the puree, salt. Add more water to it, jaggery and bring to boil and then simmer.
  4. In another small pan, heat ghee and add the tempering  ingredients.
  5. When the mustard crackles, pour it into the rasam pan and switch off the flame. Cover for a few minutes and it is ready to be savored.


Note:

Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM# 42

Bon Appetit ...




Labels: , , ,