A few years ago Oats was the word that was on everyone's lips
including mine[And its on my lips even now!]. Then it was quinoa and now
its the millet! Many blogs have millet recipe and mine has to but it
was restricted to Ragi and Bajra.
Almost 6 months ago,
the other form of lesser known millets began to flood the market. Even
the small grocery shop near my house has all varieties of millets,
cleaned and neatly packed and at affordable rates!
started buying the different types of millets and have been
experimenting on them ever since.So today's post is all about millets
and it is for the Week 3 of Blogging Marathon #42 under the theme - Millet Mania.
Let's get start,shall we..
What are Millets?
- Millets are one of the oldest crops known to mankind .
- They are a group of small seeded grasses
- These crops grow well in dry conditions / rain fed areas and do not require too much of pampering.
- They grow quickly and yields grain within a span of 65- 70 days!
What are the benefits of including millet in our diet?
Here are some of the millets that I have tried...
- Millets are highly nutritious and gluten free grains.
- They are one of the least allergic grains
- Easy to digest
- They are supposed have low glycemic index and can be used in diabetic food preparations.
- Millets contain higher percentage of vitamins , minerals and other nutrients when compared to rice and wheat.
Name of various millets....
Barnyard Millet -Scientific Name- Echinocloa spp, Kuthiraivali [Tamil],Jhangaro[Hindi].Other name - Japanese millet.
Finger Millet - Scientific Name- Eleusine coracana,Kelveragu[Tamil], Ragi[Kannada, telugu,]Nachni[Hindi]. Other names- African millet.
Foxtail Millet -Scientific Name- Setaria italica,Thinai[Tamil],Kangni[Hindi]
Little Millet -Scientific Name- Panicum sumatrense,Samai[Tamil],Kutki[Hindi],Samo, Jungle rice.
Pearl Millet -Scientific Name- Pennisettum glaucum, Kambu[Tamil],Bajra[Hindi]
Kodo Millet -Scientific Name- Paspalum scrobiculatum,Varagu[Tamil],Kodro[Hindi]
I will update this space with the names of millets in other languages as well...
millet, Kodo millet and little millet look a little similar. And they
all taste a little earthy but when mixed with other sides or when
seasoned, you will not notice anything much.
general, millets can be cooked in a pan or in a pressure cooker.Almost
all the millets can be cooked as such. Foxtail millet needs to be soaked
for a couple of hours before cooking.
Also milliets can be used in the place of rice and hence can be serves along with the regular lunch sides..
Millets can be used in preparing anything from porridge to desserts.
Millet based recipes
Labels: Kitchen Dictionary