For the final day's post with the theme 'Cooking with Corn' in the first week of Blogging Marathon #35, I made this low calorie steamed snack from Tarla Dalal's site. I had bookmarked this long time back and this was the perfect opportunity to try it out.
Dhokla , as we know, is a popular snack from the state of Gujarat and I am a huge fan of this steamed snack. I have made the besan based Khaman dhokla and Green peas dhokla and both came out well and tasted great too.
This dhokla is a little denser and quite filling too. It can be served with a spicy chutney as the dhokla is quite sweet in spite of adding green chili paste! Since it is sweet kids will like these dhoklas.
Source: Tarla Dalal
For the dhokla
Boiled sweet corn-3/4 cup
Slightly sour curd- 1/2 cup
White Rawa / Suji - 1 cup
Green chili paste- 1 teaspoon
Turmeric powder- 1/2 teaspoon
Lemon flavored Eno[Fruit salt]- 1 sachet / 5 grams/ 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Sesame seeds- 1 teaspoon
Chopped green chili- 1 teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Grated coconut and coriander leaves
1. grind together curd and corn to a smooth paste. Transfer it into a bowl and add rawa.
2. Add 1/2 cup of water, green chili paste, salt and turmeric. Mix well.
3.Grease a pan and keep aside. Add Eno to the batter and add a teaspoon of water over it. It will bubble up. Mix once gently and pour into the greased tray immediately,
4.Place it in a steamer and cover and cook for 15 minutes or till cooked. TO check for doneness, insert a knife in the centre, if it comes out clean, it is cooked. Else cook for a few more minutes. Once done, remove from steamer and allow to cool. Mark squares with a knife
Heat oil for tempering and add all the ingredients. Once the mustard splutters , remove from heat and pour it over the dhokla. Gently remove from the tray and serve with a chutney / sauce of your choice
If you want to break the traditional way of serving, then serve it up my style...
- I used lemon flavored Eno. If you use plain Eno, add a teaspoon of lemon juice in step 3 instead of water.
- You can also add 1 teaspoon ginger paste along with green chili paste in step 2
- You can use a steamer or cook in a pressure cooker without the nozzle stopper.
- This tastes best when served hot. If it cools down, re heat in a MW or in a steamer and serve hot.
- I used black sesame seeds. If white sesame seeds are available, use that.It adds to the beauty of hte dish.
Other Corn recipes from my kitchen
Sweet Corn Chaat
Baby Corn Soup
Baby Corn Capsicum Pulao
Baby Corn Pulao
MW Baby Corn-Peas Masala
Baby Corn Manchurian
Sending this to Chef Mireille's - Taste of the Tropics event themed - Corn
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM #35
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Gujarat, Party Snacks, Snack Bar