This cake was baked with the Mangoes were in season. There were plenty of Mangoes in the fruit basket and literally overflowing and I thought it was a good idea to bake a cake with it. Though I am not much into Mangoes, I was sure the kids and the others at home would like the flavor.
The cake tasted great and the texture was good too. And since this fruit is Lil Angel's favorite, I have a standing order to bake this cake any time I find good variety Mangoes!!
This recipe is adapted from Sharmis Passions who lives in my neighborhood and we never knew this until a few months back. We are in touch ever since and I am really glad to have found a food blogger in my area!
All purpose flour - 1 cup
White rawa / Sooji /Suji - 1/2 cup
Mango Pulp-1/2 cup
Sugar- 3/4 cup[Measure out and powder]
Curd / Yogurt- 1/4 cup
Canola oil [or any vegetable oil] - 2 tablespoons
Baking Soda- 1/2 teaspoon
Baking Powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt - a pinch
Tutti fruit- 1/4 cup
All purpose flour-2 teaspoons to dust tutti frutti
Cashews- 10, broken
Cucumber seeds- 2 teaspoons
- Take the tutti frutti in a ziplock bag and add 2 teaspoons all purpose flour .Close the bag and shake well so that the flour coats the tutti frutti. Sieve out the APF if remaining in the bag.[ Use only the tutti frutti for the recipe.] Keep aside.
- Sift all purpose flour, baking powder and baking soda twice.
- Add rawa to this mixture
- In a bowl mix oil,yogurt,mango pulp,sugar and mix well.
- Slowly add the flour-rawa mixture and tutti frutti.Mix well to combine.
- Pour into a loaf tin and sprinkle the cucumber seeds and cashews on top.
- Bake in a pre heated oven at 190 degree C for 40 minutes or till a skewer inserted in the centre comes out clean.
- Once done, remove from oven and cool on a wire rack.
- Cut after it is completely cooled and serve.
- Be sure to cool the cake completely before you cut it, else it will crumble.
- You can adjust the sugar to suit your taste. this cake was sweet enough for the kids.
- You can use any candied fruit/ nut in this recipe.
Here are the other bakes that are a part of this Bake- A - Thon group....
This cake also goes to Srivalli's Cake Mela, Kalyani's Only Baked Treats , an event started by Pari, Nayna's Let's Cook Christmas Party Foods
Labels: Bake-A-Thon, Bakes, cake, Mango, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes