Basil seeds is one of the ingredients that I wanted to experiment with. One fine day a friend of mine got a small pack of these seeds and then I did a little bit of search to settle on the recipe to try out. As always, a I wanted my first experiment to be a beverage and found several of these used in lemonades. So made this at home and enjoyed it on a hot evening a few weeks back....
Basil seeds are also called Subja seeds, sabja seeds, Takmaria seeds,thukamaria seeds etc and is one of the important ingredient of the famous Falooda.
Basil seeds are black in color, resembling black sesame seeds, only a little smaller.When soaked in water they 'bloom' and attain a jelly like structure and has a light crunch to it.They have no flavor of their own.
These seeds are said to aid weight loss, overcome skin infections and relieve stress. It is also a body coolant and hence added to a variety of beverages and consumed in summer.
Here is a pic of the basil seeds....
For the basil seed lemonade,
Honey to taste
Basil seeds-1/4 teaspoon
- Take the basil seeds in a sieve [with a cloth,close netted one] and rinse under water to remove impurities.
- Soak the seeds in 1/4 cup of water and set aside for 15 minutes, till they bloom
- Prepare lemon juice as you would normally do using lemon, water and honey.
- Drain the basil seeds and add to lemon juice.
- Serve over some ice cubes....
Lil Angel loved eating the basil seeds!!!
This cooling lemonade goes to Pavani's event- 5 ingredient fix, which she is hosting this month in Srivalli's Kid's Delight event.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Cooking with herbs / flowers, Cool Comforts, Herbs, Juices, Party Bev