We are now on a culinary journey to Greece in the "Flavors of.. Series 4 around Europe", an event by Simply.food.
Greek cuisine has a long and flavorful tradition that changes with the seasons and the geographical boundaries . This cuisine is a perfect example of the Mediterranean cooking style. It is rich in nutrients and low in animal fats.
I am very new to this cuisine and this is the reason I chose this as a theme to experiment and explore this cuisine.
On a small 'research' I found these details that may be helpful for all to choose and cook for this event....
So with this basic guide lines, and with a few links for you to explore [given below], I am sure it will be very easy to cook up a dish from the Greek cuisine....
- The important grains that are used in this cuisine is Wheat.A number of breads [including pita] and whole grain breads are famous here. Bulgur / broken wheat is also used. Pasta is widely used which was introduced here by the Italians.
- Rice is another staple here and used in various preparations like pilafs, bakes, stew and the famous dolmades.
- Olives are used whole and as oils in this cuisine.
- Fish,shell fish and poultry find a palce in the Greek diet and meats are mostly reserved for special functions or festivals in the traditional meal.
- Milk is used but owing to the hot climate where milk can easily get spoilt, it is turned into cheese[feta] or used as yogurt.
- A wide range of fruits and vegetables are used in cooking.
- Similarly beans and legumes are also popular.
Greek Cuisine from Wiki
Taste of Home
About.com Link 1
About.com Link 2
Here are some guidelines for sending the entries to this event...
- Cook and post a vegetarian / vegan recipe from the Greek cuisine.
- It is mandatory to link your recipes to this announcement and to Simply.food .Use of the logo is appreciated.
- Send in as many recipes you like.Archived recipes are also accepted.
- Non bloggers are also welcome to participate
- The last date to send in your entries is April 30th 2013
- Drop me mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, with the following details and the subject line - Flavors of Greece
- Your name and the name of your blog
- The recipe and the URL
- A picture of your creation. [Kindly re-size your image ]
After mailing me your entry, leave a comment so that I can check my mailbox. I will acknowledge your mail within two days.
The roundup shall be posted within a week after the dead line
Eager to see your awesome creations....
Labels: Event Announcement