There are some gadgets in the kitchen that turn into a boon. Like this Kuzhi Paniyara kal/ aebleskiver pan which we used to make the Chettinad kuzhi paniyaram , Kongunad Chola Paniyaram , Moru Appam. Apart from using the pan to prepare these mini bites, it is also being used to prepare oil free snacks. Everything from vadas to koftas are being prepared by food enthusiasts in order to joy a guilt free snack.So it is indeed a boon, right?
I prepared potato - paneer kofta in this pan and by using a non stick pan and cooking the koftas on medium flame , I was able to get the same 'effect' as the deep fried ones.
These sort of snacks are the best choices for a rainy day , to settle down with a book and a mug of piping hot coffee,i.e., if your lil one lets you :)
Paneer / cottage cheese - 1 cup, crumbled
Bread crumbs- 1 cup
Potato - 1 , large, peeled, boiled and mashed well
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Coriander leaves- finely chopped
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Roasted Cashews - a few
Salt to taste
- Combine all the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well except the cashews.I did not add water, but if required use very little water just to bind the ingredients together.
- Take a small portion of the dough and flatten lightly.Place a roasted cashew in the center and shape into balls.Repeat for the remaining dough.
- Heat a non stick Kuzhi Paniyara kal and place the balls on each of the indentations and cook on medium heat , gently turning around the koftas at regular intervals so that all balls are cooked evenly and turn golden brown.
- Remove from the pan and serve as such or with a side dish like tomato sauce.
- These koftas can be used in gravies like the Shahi Paneer Kofta gravy
- If the paneer is frozen,let it come to room temperature and then give it a run in a blender for a few seconds and the panner will be soft and fluffy.
- As soon as you remove the potato from the pressure cooker, peel and mash. It is much easier this way. In case you are not able to do this and the potato comes to room temperature, peel and grate. Then add to the other ingredients and mix well.
- You can also deep fry these koftas.
- Lil angel loves yellow colored dishes and hence the turmeric powder. You can omit it.
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#27
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Paneer, Potato, Snack Bar