The minute I saw this month's themes that Srivalli had announced, my eyes fell on the Goan cuisine category and I knew I had to take it up. I had just one Goan recipe- A goanese style potato curry and thought this will be great reason to explore the cuisine since I won't be doing it on my own otherwise.
Also I knew that if I took up this theme, the recipes were easy to find-where else, in Archana's blog, ofcourse!!
I have book marked quite a few recipes from there.Here is the first one from the lot.
Blogging Marathon # 26
Theme - Goan Cuisine
Adapted from The Mad Scientist's Kitchen
- Toi - Goan Style Dal
Toor Dal- 3/4 cup
Potato- 1, medium sized, peeled and chopped
Coconut paste -2 tablespoons,coarsely ground
Mustard -1 teaspoon
Asafoetida powder- a pinch
Turmeric powder- a pinch
Curry leaves- a few
Green chilies- 2, slit
Oil- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
- Wash the toor dal and pressure cook it along with the potato,turmeric powder and 2 cups of water.
- When the pressure releases, mash lightly and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and add teh mustard.
- When it crackles, put in asafoetida, curry leaves and green chilies.
- Saute for a few seconds and then add the mashed dal, coconut paste and salt.
- Simmer and wait till till boils.During this time, if you feel the consistency of the dal is too thick, add water and adjust the consistency of the dal to suit your taste.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
We had the Goan style dal with steamed rice and Papad Kissmor
This is a very simple dal that can be made in a hurry and takes great even without the addition of sambar powder. A nice change from the regular sambar. I also had this with chapathi and found it to be a good accompaniment.
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#26
This is my entry to MLLA #57 that I am hosting here this month. MLLA is the brain child of Susan, now carried on by Lisa
Labels: Better Half, Blogging Marathon, Eggless Bakin Group, Goan Cuisine, Rotisides, Sambar Varieties, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side