For this month's Taste and Create I was paired with Sandhya of My Cooking Journey. Her blog has loads of vegetarian dishes that are easy to prepare and I have book marked almost a dozen recipes from her blog. Finally, I prepared this Goan curry - Feijoada that has its roots in Portugal.
Feijoada is a stew of lentils with beef and pork. Her version is a vegetarian one and goes well with rotis. Generally kidney beans is used. I had a bag of mixed beans and used that for this recipe.
I used :
Adapted from My Cooking journey
Mixed beans - 2 cups
Tamarind pulp- 1 tablespoon, thick
Onion- 1, finely chopped
Peppercorns- 1/2 teaspoon
Red chillies - 4
Coriander seeds- 1 tablespoon
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Oil- 2 teaspoons
Salt to taste
Coriander leaves to garnish
Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- Soak the beans over night.
- The next morning rinse out the water and pressure cook with enough water till the beans are cooked. They must not turn mushy.
- Heat about half a teaspoon of oil in a pan and roast the red chillies, pepper, cloves, coriander seeds, cumin till nice and fragrant. The spices should not get burnt.
- Switch off the flame and add the coconut and mix well.
- When the mixture cools, grind to a smooth paste with water.
- Heat the remaining oil in a pan and add the onions.Saute till the onions are soft.
- Put in the ground paste and add the tamarind pulp.
- Cook for a few minutes and add the cooked beans and mix.
- If the mixture is too thick add water to get the desired consistency.
- Add salt and bring to a boil.Simmer for 10 minutes.
This also goes well with steamed rice...
Each month,it is fun creating dishes for Taste and Create ...Would you like to join ? .Just email Min @ email@example.com with your name, blog name and a link to your blog to sign up.Hope to see you in the next edition of Taste and Create....
Labels: Better Half, Goan Cuisine, Misc Rice Sides, Rotisides, Sides for Rice, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side