Hi friends...Here is the answer to the question I posed a few days back...
Botanical name - Pisonia alba
Tamil - Nachukottoi Keerai / Lachakottai Keerai/ Nanjundan Keerai .
Kannada -Sule Sapp
English - Cabbage Tree / Lettuce Tree / Hawaiian Papala Kepau
This is seen as an ornamental plant only as many are not aware that the leaves are edible. The leaves posses good medicinal value. They are used in the treatment of rheumatism.
The term Nachukottai Keerai explains that it removes toxins from the body [Nachu - Toxin].
- It is said to have originated in the Andaman islands.
- It is a large shrub or sometimes can even grow to 4-7 meters in height.It rarely flowers.
- It is used as a cattle feed.
- This is a medicinal plant that is also used in cookery.
- It is helpful in people suffering from arthritis.
All those who left a comment on the mystery post had guessed it right....
See you all soon with yet another mystery.....
Labels: PJ's Mystery Files