This month,the eggless baking group started by Gayathri is entering the second year. It is only fitting to celebrate it in style. So we baked this yummy Chocolate cake for the occasion.
I baked this cake last week end and since I made a huge batch, shared it with my SIL. The moment she took a bite, she exclaimed that it was better than the version with eggs!
Yes, this cake is super moist and very deliciously chocolatey. Lil Angel could not stop herself from have one after another.She had it as breakfast and lunch and wanted it for dinner too!!
I baked one batch of muffins and prepared a square cake. After the chocolate frosting, the cake seemed very plain so I topped it with some colorful sprinkles. The square cake needed some decoration and I started off but it ended quite differently. Honestly, I did not like how it looked. But Lil Angel loved it and said it was the most beautiful cake she has ever seen!Well, beauty does lie in the eyes of the beholder!!!
For the cake
All purpose Flour - 1 1/4 cups
Hershey's cocoa powder - 1/4 cup
Vegetable oil - 1/4 cup
Boiling water - 1/2 cup
Milk- 1/2 cup
Condensed milk[Milkmaid] - 1/4 cup
Fresh yogurt - 1/4 cup
Baking powder - 3/4 teaspoon
Baking soda - 3/4 teaspoon
Sugar - 1 cup [Measured and then powdered]
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
- Pre heat the oven to 180 C
- Grease and dust the pans / line the muffin pans and keep aside
- In a bowl combine flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking powder , baking soda and salt.
- In another bowl, mix the oil,milk, condensed milk and add boiling water.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix so that there are no lumps.
- Add the yogurt and mix to combine.The batter will be thin now. Don't worry, the cake will turn out great!
- Pour the batter into the prepared muffin trays / pans
- Bake at 180 C for 25 minutes[pan] and 20 minutes for muffins.[Oven timings will vary. Test by inserting a tooth prick /skewer in the center and if it comes out clean, the cake is done]
- Cool on wire rack .Frost and serve.
For the frosting
Butter -1 /4 cup
Hershey's cocoa powder- 1/2 cup
Powdered sugar - 1/2 cup
Milk- 1/3 cup
- Melt the butter and stir in the cocoa powder.
- Put in the sugar and mix.
- Add the milk little by little ,mixing all the while, till you get a spreadable consistency. You may or may not use up the 1/3 cup of milk. So don't add the milk in one go.
Labels: * Indian Cooking Challenge, Bakes, cake, Eggless Bakin Group, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes