For a long time now, I haven't been baking much.I keep putting it off .Blame this on the frequent power cuts or my laziness to try something new in baking. Then I saw some beautiful posts last month that were a part of Gayathri's Eggless Baking Group. I asked her if I could join and she promptly agreed.
This month's challenge was Danish Dream cake suggested by Meena of Chettinad Fiesta. We were given a version with eggs and were supposed to create an eggless one.
On reading about the origin of this cake, I found out that it comes from the Brovst region in Denmark.Unlike the cakes that I have seen or read about, this one is baked first and then a topping is given and baked again! Given that coconut, butter and brown sugar are a part of the topping, I knew it was taste Divine.
There are a number of egg substitutes like flax seeds, yogurt, apple sauce, banana puree etc.But I got to so this at the last moment that I did not know which one would be suitable.I did not have time to experiment and since I have never tasted,or even seen it for that matter, I wasn't really sure.When I tried it out with an egg substitute for the first time, I did not get the proper result and had to make it again. I was determined to get it right so that I could post my very first recipe in the group.I borrowed this recipe from Priya. So here it is - Drommekage fra Brovst.- a fabulous cake straight from Denmark , that will make you crave for more...
All purpose flour - 1 1/4 cups
Sugar - 3/4 cup
Baking powder- 1 teaspoon
Baking Soda - 1/2 teaspoon
Curd, fresh - 1/2 cup
Butter, melted - 1/8 cup
Salt a large pinch
For the topping :[See notes below]
Light Brown sugar - 1/2 cup
Fresh grated coconut - 1/2 cup
Butter , melted - 1/8 cup
- Pre-heat the oven to 200 degree Celcius
- Sift the all purpose flour, baking power, baking soda and salt.
- In a bowl mix together curd, sugar, butter till the sugar dissolves.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix to combine.Do not over-mix.
- Pour into a greased square tin and bake for 20 minutes
- Remove the cake from the oven and spread the topping evenly over the cake and return to the oven and bake at 225 degree Celsius for another 10 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and let it cool completely.
- Cut into squares and serve....
- At the end of 20 minutes of baking the cake was not done completely. I just spread the topping and baked it again
- The topping was still very 'gooey' after baking it for 10 minutes . After the cake cooled completely, it was ok. Loved to bite into the coconut topping.
- To the topping mixture , we are supposed to add 1/8 cup milk.But since the mixture was already kind of runny, I skipped it.
- The original recipe uses desiccated coconut. I used fresh coconut.
Labels: Bakes, cake, Eggless Bakin Group, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes