Today is the second day of Cooking From Restaurant Menu for Week #4 of Blogging Marathon 24 . The menu card of India House Vegetarian Restaurant has palak dosa and since I already have Palak Dosa in my blog and my folks love masala dosa and this dish was listed on the menu, I prepared Palak Masala Dosa for breakfast!
I mixed spinach puree to the regular dosa batter and the dosa was ready very soon.Potato masal is a breeze to prepare too.Since this is colorful, I am sure the kid's too will love to have it.....
For the batter / Palak Dosa:
Idli / Dosa batter - 8 cups
Palak- 1 bunch,cleaned and leaf separated
Green chilli- 2
Ginger- 1" piece
- Blanch the spinach leaves and drain. Do not try to remove the moisture by squeezing the leaves.Just let it drain on a colander for some time.
- Grind the palak leaves, green chillies and ginger to a smooth paste. No need to add water.
- Add this paste to the dosa batter. Adjust the consistency by adding a little water if the batter is too thick. Ideally the batter should be a tad thinner than the idli batter.
For the potato masal
Potatoes,Boiled & mashed -4
Tomato, finely chopped – 1
Onion, finely chopped – 1
Coriander leaves, finely chopped – 2 teaspoons
Curry leaves- a few
Turmeric Powder – a pinch
Chilli powder – 2 teaspoons
Oil – 2 teaspoons
Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
Jeera / cumin seeds– 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
1. Heat oil in a pan and add mustard and cumin seeds
2. Once it splutters add curry leaves, onions and fry till onions turn translucent.
3. Add tomatoes and cook till mushy.
4. Add the boiled and mashed potatoes and mix well.
5. Next add turmeric power, chilli powder and salt.
6. Finally add coriander leaves and mix and remove from heat.
7. If the masal is too crumbly add a little bit of water to get the spreadable consistency.
To prepare the palak masala dosa...
- Spread a ladle full of palak dosa batter in the center of a heated griddle.
- Drizzle a little oil around the edges.
- When the edges leave the griddle flip it over and cook for a couple of minutes till done.
- Flip once again and spread a little masal on one half of the dosa.
- Fold the other half to cover and serve hot....
|Palak Masal Dosa served with|
Sambar , Coconut chuney, spicy toamto gravy and
South Indian Filter Coffee
- Adding green chillies and ginger to the palak dosa batter is optional.
- You can also add grated carrots, boiled peas and beans to the masal.
Long time ago I found this interesting and funny article about how a Masal Dosa can tell your character type!
Want to know more?
Take a look at the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#24
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Dosa Varieties, KLBDosa, Morning Raga, SI, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties