I am a 'cookie-friendly' person.I find it easier to bake cookies than cakes.Somehow there has never been a cookie related flop show and I do have a couple of cake flops.So I call myself - cookie friendly and am able to bake them at short notice, not wanting time to mixing and stuff as I find cookies can be put together faster than mixing for a cake. I may be wrong but I may also be right!
So when I chose Cooking with kitchen electric appliances,as the themes for Week 2 in the 24th edition of blogging Marathon,I wanted to bake and it had to be a cakeI settled on muffins and even got a new muffin tray after a brief discussion with my BM friends.But with all the unscheduled power cuts driving us crazy, I was not sure if I could bake something even as simple as a cookie.
So as usual, my drafts came to the rescue and I had this recipe from Nandita's- Saffron Trail which she calls Healthiest cookies I have ever baked.I remember baking this as soon as I saw this recipe on her blog, sometime in April last year. I have been hording it my drafts waiting for the right time to post them..Finally, the perfect time has come!
This is a flourless,butterless and eggless cookie prepared with my favorite ingredient Oats and loads of other healthy stuffs to contribute to the flavor and texture of this truly healthy cookies.
These are not the crunchy type of cookies and I was worried if the lil one will accept it as it was a little chewy.I remember Lil Angel asking me to make another batch after she had had the lion's share! She said loved the chocolate bits in the cookie and of course the crunch of the almonds.
I used :
Quick cooking Oats - 2 cups
Bananas -3, ripe
Almonds - 1/4 cup, roughly chopped
Brown sugar - 5 tablespoons
Fresh grated coconut -1/3 cup
Rice bran oil- 1/4 cup
Salt - 1/2 teaspoon
Baking powder - 1 teaspoon
Morde chocolate bar - 150 grams, chopped
- Preheat the oven to 175 degree Celsius
- Whisk together mashed banana and oil in a bowl.
- In another bowl put in all the dry ingredients except the chocolate and mx well.
- Add the dry ingredient mixture to the wet ingredients and mic to combine.
- Put in the chocolate pieces and mix once more.
- Grease / line a baking tray and drop heaped spoon fulls of the cookie dough, leaving an inch gap between the cookies.
- Bake for 15 minutes or till Golden brown.Start checking from 12 minutes.[ The color change is a bit difficult to notice but the aroma is 'yum'.]
- Cool and enjoy.
- The original recipe uses almond extract but I did not add. If using add 1 teaspoon in step 2.Also she has used 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder which I omitted.
- Frozen coconut can also be used. Thaw before using.
- Nandita recommends corn meal to replace the almonds to make it a nut-free cookie.In that case use vanilla essence .Also 4 tablespoons of Honey can be used instead of brown sugar.
- I guess you can use a neutral vegetable oil instead of rice bran oil.
As I mentioned earlier, these are not crunchy .I stored them in the fridge as it was summer time when I prepared it and was not sure how well they would stay if kept outside. The cool chewy cookies tasted awesome!
Labels: Banana, Blogging Marathon, Cookies, Oats, Oven Fresh Eggless Bakes, Vegan varieties