After the simple carrot - beet soup yesterday, its time to move on to a more 'sophisticated' dish for the tiny tot.Once the baby starts on solids and you have introduced cereals,this type of combo meal [cereal-pulse combo]can be started.It is very healthy dish.This kichidi is very different from the adults version....
This is the second post for Week 1 in the 24th edition of blogging Marathon, I have chosen Weaning Foods.
Please note that this is not a medical advice and be sure to Consult your Pediatrician before starting any weaning food for your baby
I have used split moong dal or kichidi dhal in this dish....
This is how I prepare this easy and healthy kichidi...
In a bowl take
2 teaspoons of kichidi dhal / split moong dhal and 2 tablespoons of rice.
Wash well and add 1/2 cup of water, a pinch of turmeric powder and a small garlic pod, 1/4 tomato[seeds removed].
Pressure cook for 2 whistles or till mushy.
Cool lightly, remove the skin of the tomato
and mash or pulse in a blender.
Serve luke warm.
- Start off with a few teaspoons to check of it suits the lil ones tummy and then proceed.
- Initially don't add garlic and tomato.If he likes the flavor of the kichidi , add these after a couple of days.
- Salt is usually not added but add a pinch if you wish to.
- Drizzle a little ghee for extra calories and taste.
- Start with a watery kichidi and then as he grows, reduce the amount of water and give as a semi solid and then solid form.
- You can add a ladle of thin rasam to dilute the kichidi and make it a little semi solid in consistency.
Semi solid khicidi....
As the lil one grows older switch to a slightly solid version like this...
This is lil Dude's lunch for today. Moong kichidi drizzled with a little ghee....
Other weaning foods can be found here.....
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Pongalupma, Rendezvous with Rice, Split Moong Dal Recipes, Vegan varieties