One of the snacks that was perpetually present in our college canteen was this Ragi pakoda. Though other snacks were present this one seemed to be around every single day. Back then looks mattered more than nutrition and this one was hardly famous in our gang.Later this was forgotten and when I started blogging wanted to make this.By then I was well aware of the health benefits of Ragi and soon it became my favorite grain. But somehow I never made this until yesterday.
I was wondering how it would be received by the folks at home because of its color. By the time I came back to with the final batch, the whole plate of snacks had disappeared and there was a demand for more!!!
Ragi Flour -1 cup
Onion - 1, larged , sliced
Raw peanuts- a few
Curry leaves- a few
Red chilli powder- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil for frying
- In a bowl, take the ragi flour, onion, reed chilli powder, curry leaves, peanuts, salt. Mix well.
- Sprinkle a little water and mix to form a crumbly dough. Take a little of the dough and form a lump, if it holds shape it is of the right consistency.
- Heat oil for deep frying.
- Drop in small lumps and fry till dark brown and crispy.
- Remove from heat and serve with tomato sauce / chutney and a cup of tea / coffee
- Usually finely chopped green chillies are added. Since Lil Angel does not like to bite into green chilles I used Red chilli powder.
- Grated ginger can also be added
This is off to Jagruti's event, Know Your Flours
that I am hosting here with the theme Ragi Flour..
Labels: Millet Mania, Party Snacks, Ragi, Snack Bar, Vegan varieties