While the whole world, or at least most of them are posting festive recipes, my space shares a simple South Indian Condiment - a chutney or dip that goes well with South Indian Breakfasts recipes like idli / dosa / upma / pongal etc.
My earlier post which was up almost 4 years ago had no photo! I had just written the recipe ,that's all!!! Now that we are Revisiting old posts with new pictures for Blogging Marathon #23, Week 4, I felt this is the best time to update the post with a pic.
For chutney :
Freshly grated coconut - 1 cup
Roasted channa dal - 1/4 cup
Green chillies - 2-3
Ginger- a small piece
Tamarind - a small piece / 14 teaspoon pulp
Salt to taste
Oil - 1 teaspoon
Mustard seeds- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Urad dal - 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
- Grind all the ingredients for chutney to a smooth paste adding a little water. Remove it into a vessel.
- Heat oil for seasoning and add the mustard, cumin and urad dal.
- When the mustard pops and dal turns brown, remove from heat, add the curry leaves, wait for a few seconds for it to crisp and pour over chutney.
- Mix and serve as a side dish.
- Adjust the spice level to suit your taste
- Adding ginger is optional. I love to add this these days as it gives a good flavor to the chutney.
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, tiffinsides, Vegan varieties, Whoz on my side