Ragi has been one of my favorite ingredient and this month I am glad to host Jagruthi’s – Know your flours series and obviously I have chosen Ragi Flour.
Ragi is also known by the names –
Finger millet, Nachani, Nagli, Kelvaragu, Mutthar,i
It is much neglected grain which can be called a wonder millet, is it was widely used years ago for preparing everything from Starters to desserts. It is a wholesome food that is now regaining its popularity.
The ragi grain looks like a mustard seed and the flour gets a brown color when ground. The recipes that use Ragi are not only tasty but also wholesome and nutritionally superior.
The nutritional analysis of 100 grams of ragi shows that it has
Carbohydrates -72.6 Kcal
Protein - 7.7 g
Fiber -3.6 g
Fat - 1.3 g
Calcium - 350 mg
Iron - 3.9 mg
The health / medicinal value of Ragi
- It is a good source of Calcium and Fiber
- One of the best food for weight loss
- It is said to lower blood cholesterol
- Ragi is a good source of Iron and hence an ideal food for anemics
- Ragi is said to be helpful in reliving the body stress and found to be beneficial in conditions like anxiety, insomnia, depression and migraine
- It is a rich source of amino acids and this is important for the proper functioning of the body
- Ragi based foods provide stamina and is ideal for all ages.
With so much nutrition and goodness in it, it is only fair that we acknowledge its value by preparing and posting recipes that use Ragi flour
Here are a few rules for the event
- Cook and post about a recipe that features ragi flour as the star ingredients. Vegetarian and Vegan recipes are accepted. You can also share interesting facts / anecdotes on Ragi flour.
- Link your recipes to this announcement and to Jagruthi’s page
- Send in as many recipes you like but only 3 from archives are accepted
- Non bloggers are also welcome to participate
- The last date to send in your entries – December 10th 2012
- Drop me mail to email@example.com, with the following details and the subject line - Know your flours
- Your name and the name of your blog
- The recipe and the URL
- A picture of your creation. [Kindly re-size your image ]
After mailing me your entry, leave a comment so that I can check my mailbox. I will acknowledge your mail within two days.
The roundup shall be posted within a week after the dead line
Eagerly waiting for the delicious dishes…..
Labels: Event Announcement