For the final day of Blogging Marathon, week#3, with the theme- Cooking from WestBegal, I have made this simple pulao.
Chirar is flattened rice / pressed rice / poha/ aval. As we are aware, it is a very good source of Iron and is quite easy to digest too. The addition of vegetables and mild spices, makes it a very tasty and filling dish.
I used :
Pressed rice ,thick variety- 1 cup
Mixed boiled vegetables - 1/2 cup [ I used peas, beans, potato ]
Carrot- 1 small, grated
Onion- 1, sliced
Peanuts, roasted-2 tablesdpoons
Whole spices - cinnsmom- 1" piece, cardamom- 1 pod,Bay leaf -1
Green chillies-2, slit
Turmeric powder- a large pinch
Cumin seeds- 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 tablespoon
It can be served as a breakfast dish with plain yogurt or as a tea time snack
- Wash and drain the pressed rice. In a vessel put in the pressed rice and sprinkle a little water and keep it covered till soft. Check often and sprinkle more water if needed.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in cumin seeds.
- When it splutters, add the whole spices and saute till they release a nice aroma.
- Next put in the onion and saute till golden brown.
- Then in goes the grated carrot and cook till it looses its raw flavor.
- Add the turmeric powder, salt, pressed rice,roasted peanuts and mix well.
- Lower the flame and cook for a few minutes for the flavors to blend.
- Remove from heat and serve garnished with coriander leaves.
There are two varieties of Pressed rice - the thick and thin varieties.
you are using the thin variety, wash the Pressed rice in a colander and
use immediately.If you let it stand too long,it will get soggy.
If using the thick variety,wash it and put in a vessel.Sprinkle a little water,cover and let it stand for 10 minutes or till it is soft.Then use it in the recipe.
- Ghee can be used instead of oil for a richer taste
- This can also be prepared without the whole spices
Hop over to the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#22
Labels: Aval, Bengali Cuisine, Blogging Marathon, Eggless Bakin Group, Green Peas, KJ, KLBRice, Krishna Janmashtami Recipes Aval, Morning Raga, Rendezvous with Rice, Snack Bar