When I went to stay with her for a few days, she was determined to make me eat something. She prepared this dish for me one morning and for almost a week, I had this for breakfast, lunch and dinner!!!Then slowly my appetite returned to normal then grew voracious. That story is for another day…..
A couple of weeks back , mom prepared this scrumptious breakfast and here is the dutiful daughter presenting it to you...
And then comes my favorite curd semiya with mango pickle and this was enjoyed over piping hot Filter coffee
Here is the recipe...
Pre-roasted Semiya / vermicelli – 1 cup
Fresh yogurt / Curd -1 ½ cups or more
Milk – ¼ cup
Salt to taste
Oil- 1 teapoon
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds – ½ teaspoon
Urad dal -1 teaspoon
Finely chopped ginger – ½ teaspoon
Green chilli – 2, chopped
Finely chopped cucumber
Finely chopped raw mango
Coriander leaves for garnishing
- Boil 1 ½ cups water in a pan and add ½ teaspoon oil to it
- When it comes to a rolling boil, put in the semiya/ vermicelli.
- Simmer till the semiya is soft and fully cooked.
- Remove from pan and cool.
- Meanwhile whisk milk and curd. Keep aside.
- Heat a little oil and add raisins. Remove from pan when the raisins puff up. Keep aside.
- To the same pan, add mustard, cumin seeds, urad dal, asafetida powder, ginger, green chillies and curry leaves.
- When the mustard splutters and dal turns brown, pour into the cooled semiya.
- Add salt, raisins, grated carrot, chopped cucumber and raw mango.
- Add beaten curd and mix gently.
- Serve garnished with coriander leaves.
- A mixture of milk and curd gives the right consistency. Else the semiya will absorb the curd faster and the dish will be very dry.
- Some brands absorb more water. So keep another 1 cup of boiling water handy while preparing this dish and add in step 3 if needed.
- You can also fry the raisins in ghee.
- If this dish is prepared ahead of time, keep some curd handy and mix some before serving.
- Adding cucumber, carrot and raw mango is optional but it gives a nice crunch to the dish.
- You can also garnish it with pomegranate pearls for a rich looking dish.
- Tastes great when served chilled