For a long, long time, ever since I first saw this 2 minute MW mug cake recipe published in some blogs, I have been wanting to try it.I have a lot of mugs, but not those microwave proof ones. I did not want to risk the microwave so I was postponing making this cake till I could buy some beautiful mugs that could showcase this lovely cake.
I almost always forget to buy these mugs when I go shopping and when I do remember, I do not get the ones I am looking for. So the wait continued till the day I watched Master Chef Australia’s Master Class. There, a cake was baked in the Microwave for 2 minutes and it was done is a paper cup. I was like, ‘Why didn't I think of this before!’.So I put a temporary halt to my search and made the cake in the paper cup that I had at home.
I followed the recipe from Sharmi's blog and it came out perfect. Since I was not sure if the cake would ‘overflow’ while baking I prepared the cake mixture in a different vessel and poured it into the cups.Later I prepared in mixture in the cup itself and it did not spill over.
The cake was moist and we enjoyed it last evening……
I used : [per cup]
All purpose flour - 3 tablespoons
Cocoa powder - 1.5 tablespoons
Powdered sugar - 3 tablespoon
Cooking oil- 3 tablespoons
Milk - 3 tablespoon
Baking soda - 2 pinches [ The original recipe used - 1/8 tsp]
Salt- a large pinch [ The original recipe used - 1/8 tsp]
Choco-chips / chocolate vermicelli / sprinkles for garnish
- Put in the dry ingredients in a cup [or mug].Mix well.
- Add the liquid ingredients and mix well till the mixture is smooth and there are no lumps.
- Microwave on high for 2 minutes [see note below] or till a skewer comes out clean.
- Serve garnished with Choco-chips / chocolate vermicelli / sprinkles
- Be sure to mix all the ingredients well,else it will remain as lumps at the bottom of the cup.
- I added the choco chips and sprinkles on the cake mixture before baking but most of them sank into the mixture. So I added some after the cake was baked, while it was still warm. It had a double benefit- choco chips and sprinkles both inside the cake as well as on the outside as a garnish!
- The time to bake this came in the microwave will vary depending on the voltage and watts. On the day I baked this came, the voltage was less, so took a little longer to bake.
- The baking time will also differ from oven to oven.
- You can serve this as such or with ice creams / topped with choco chips / sprinkles / whipped cream / chocolate sauce etc.
- This is be a hit in the kiddy party. You can bake them in paper cups and serve. The kids will love it and we don’t have to worry about mugs getting broken.
Lil Angel's favorite....
Chocolate vermicelli [and powdered sugar] gave and excellent crunch to the cake