Today is the second day of Blogging Marathon #19.Keeping in mind the theme - Calcium rich dishes, I have decided to prepare a lassi. Though it is very windy around here, it is equally hot.So a lassi / buttermilk seemed to be very apt.For the second recipe of this week I chose my favorite ingredient - Oats. There are numerous ways in which oats can be incorporated in the diet and this is the easiest of them all.A very quick way to chill out in summer.
Buttermilk is a good source of Calcium and so is Oats.Combining these two and adding some spices gives a great tasting drink ideal to quench the summer heat...
Yogurt - 1 cup
Oats - 1 1/2 tablespoon
Minty leaves- a few
Cumin powder- 1/4 teaspoon
Green chilli - 1, deseeded and chopped
Ginger- 1/2 " piece, peeled and chopped
Salt to taste
- Roast the oats in a pan for a few minutes till it turns light brown.Remove from heat and let it cool.
- Powder the oats in a blender, add ginger, green chilli, mint leaves, cumin powder.Run the blender for a few seconds.
- Add yogurt, salt and around 2 cups of water and belnd well.
- Pour into tall glasses and serve garnished with a spring of mint leaf.
- Instead of mint, you can also add coriander leaves/ curry leaves/ any other herb of your choice.
- Adjust water according to your taste.Usually this type of buttermilk is of very thin consistency.
- If this lassi is made ahead, there is a layer of thin liquid on top.Mix well before serving.
- You can also sprinkle a little chaat masala.
- For a chilled effect, add a few ice cubes before serving.
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#19
This Day That Year...
2010 - Kollu Paruppu Podi - Horsegram lentil spice mix