Dosa and Idlis are an integral part of our breakfast and most of the times, the fridge holds a container of this batter. With the batter at hand, it is easy to prepare either Idli / dosa depending on our craving without the hassle of having to break my head for breakfast ideas. This does not mean that we have only idli / dosa for breakfast! We love other dishes too but dosa batter in the fridge is like having your own safety net. Even when it is idli for 3 days straight, my folks insist on at least 2 different types of side dishes everyday without repeating them and that does not count milagai podi. Isn't that challenging!!
There are times when the batter is just enough to prepare a few dosas but there are 3 hungry mouths to feed. During those times, I add other flours to the batter and a new type of dosa is born.A few days ago, with just a few ladle fulls of idli/dosa batter left, I added wheat flour and ragi flour to it. To make it interesting , tasty and of course healthy I prepared a vegetable filling.
For Batter :
Idli batter- 3 cups
Wheat flour-3/4 cup
Ragi flour - 3/4 cup
Salt to taste
For the filling:
Mixed vegetables - 1 cup , boiled [I used carrot, potato and beans]
Onion- 1,small, chopped
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Cumin seeds- 1/2 teaspoon
Curry leaves - a few
Salt to taste
Oil- 2 teaspoons
- Take all the ingredients for the batter in a bowl.Mix well ,add water little by little and prepare a batter of pouring consistency. Check for salt and add if needed. [The idli batter already has salt].Keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan and put in the mustard ,cumin seeds.
- When it crackles, add the onion and curry leaves.Saute till the onion is soft.
- Put in the the tomato and cook till mushy.
- Add salt and chilli powder and mix well.
- Put in the boiled veggies and mix well.
- Cook till the mixture is dry.Remove from heat and keep aside.
- Heat a griddle and pour a ladle full of batter in the center and spread to a circle.
- When the edges leave the sides, flip it over and cook for a few minutes.
- Flip it once more and spread a portion of the filling over one half.
- Fold the other half and remove from heat.
Serve warm with a side dish of your choice.
- You can also added ginger garlic paste while sauteing the onion
- To give a 'masala' touch to the filling, garam masala can be added. Sambar powder can give a different kind of flavor to the filling. Play around with different masalas and each time you will end up with a tastier version of the filling.
- Grated panner added to the filling make it even more tastier.
- You can add any vegetable of your choice for the filling.Veggies like grated cabbage,capsicum can be sauteed with onion.Other veggies like peas, cauliflower, broccoli can be boiled and added.
Our breakfast -
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#18
Labels: Blogging Marathon, Dosa Varieties, Millet Mania, Morning Raga, SI, Tamil Nadu Cuisine, Vegan varieties