Spice Mix For Vaangi Bhaath / Brinjal Rice

Vaangi bhaath is one of mom's signature recipes.Though I love this dish a lot, it surprised me [and mom] that I have not posted the recipe till now!Wonder how I missed it for so long!!

So when the theme 'Indian basics' was put up for this edition of BM, this was the one that came to my mind. I asked mom for the recipe and she gladly shared it with me....



Mom uses:

Chana dal / bengal gram  - 1/4 cup
Whole white urad dal - 1/4 cup
Sesame seeds,black - 2 tablespoons
Asafoetida powder - a large pinch
Red chililes- 3
Oil- 1 tablespoon


  1. Heat a pan and roast the sesame seeds on low heat till you hear the popping sound. Remove from heat and keep aside.
  2. Heat oil in a pan and put in the asafoetida powder.Put in the chana dal, urad dal,red chilli and roast till the dal turns brown.Remove from heat and cool.
  3. Grind the sesame seeds,dal mixture to a semi coarse powder.
  4. Spread out on a plate for a few minutes to cool.
  5. Store in an airtight container.
Use while preparing Vaangi bhaat.This powder stays good for a month.


    Tomorrow I will be back with a tasty recipe.Be sure to drop by....

    Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#18

    Bon Appetit...


    Labels: ,