On one such day, mom made bondas with sweet potato. I am not a huge fan of sweet potato but since mom assured me that it would taste great, I tried it and I have it say that it has pushed down the potato bonda to the second spot.The bondas were not overly sweet as I had expected. The filling had a balance of sweet and spiciness.
As we were munching on the bondas, Lil Angel was eyeing the plate. I guess she was not sure if she has to eat it or not.Potato is her favorite.Then taking cue from me she slowly bit into a piece of Bonda and she was hooked!!
Besan/Begal gram flour- 2 cups
Rice flour- 1 cup
Red chilli powder-2 teaspoons
Asafoetida- a pinch
Salt to taste
For the stuffing :
Sweet potato - 1,large piece Onion-2 chopped
Fried cashews- few ,broken into bits
Chilli powder- 1/2 a teaspoon
Curry leaves- a few
Coriander leaves-1 tablespoon,finely chopped
Mustard- 1 teaspoon
Gram dhal-1 teaspoon
Urad dhal- 1 teaspoon
Asafoetida - a pinch
Oil- 1 tablespoon
Salt- to taste
Oil to deep fry
- In a bowl put in the ingredients for batter, add water and make a batter which can coat a spoon.It must not be too watery or too thick.Keep aside.
- Pressure cook the sweet potato and when cool enough to handle remove the peel and mash lightly.Keep aside
- Heat oil in a pan and add the mustard,gram dhal,urad dhal,curry leaves,asafoetida and when they splutter and turn brown, add onions and fry till golden brown.
- Add mashed sweet potatoes,coriander leaves,salt ,chilli powder and mix well.Cook for a couple of minutes and remove from flame.Keep aside.
- When it is cool enough to handle,make small balls of the stuffing and dip them into the batter so that the mixture is fully coated with the batter.
- Carefully drop them one by one into hot oil and deep fry till golden brown.
- Drain on absorbent paper and serve hot
It can be served with coconut chutney or with a cup of piping hot coffee,or in Lil Angels style, a mug of her favorite chocolate drink....
You may also like to try this tasty recipe - Sweet potato mash with Goji berries
Sending this to Pradnya who is hosting Kid's delight -Warm foods to beat the rain , an event started by Srivalli...
Check out the Blogging Marathon page for the other Blogging Marathoners doing BM#18