During the Saaka Vratha, vegetables and fruits are not consumed. So the day to day menu uses a lot of lentils. Here in this recipe fried lentil dumplings are used in the place of vegetables. Also I found that it is similar to raita. Hence we can prepare this and serve it along with steamed rice as well as a side dish with flavored rice.
I used :
Curd - 3 cups
Toor dal - 1/4 cup
Pepper- 1/2 teaspoon
Cumin seeds - 1 teaspoon
Salt to taste
Oil for deep frying
- Soak the toor dal for a couple of hours. Drain and grind with pepper and salt.Sprinkle water while grinding. The ground mixture should not be watery.
- Heat oil in a pan and drop spoonfuls of the ground mixture into the oil and deep fry till golden brown.Drain and keep aside.
- Whisk the curd with salt.
- Heat oil in a small pan and put in cumin seeds. When it splutters, pour over the curd.
- Drop the fried lentil balls into the curd and serve with steamed rice.
Labels: Better Half, Blogging Marathon, Khadi Varieties, Madhwa Cuisine, Sides for Rice, Whoz on my side, Yumm Yoghurt